The photo above is my choir Conspiracy of Venus (I was not in the group when it was taken) by my friend, photographer Audra Marie Dewitt. The photographs are part of a book she's self-publishing called All Together Now: Women in Music. Right now there is a kickstarter campaign to get this book printed, and it needs your support!
Click here to see the kickstarter campaign. ONLY 7 MORE DAYS!
Read this post I wrote on Hear it Local's blog addressing why a book about female musicians is needed. This is a book for anyone who's ever wanted to stay true to themselves and "follow their bliss" (Thank you Miho Hatori)!
Audra gave me editor credit in the book, which is really awesome! In the last three years I've helped out and worked on researching and contacting artists as well as copy editing and marketing. I saw the mock up, which is gorgeous, and figured I had a hand in about half of the images. I'm very proud of this project.
Women included in All Together Now are on the famous side as well as unsung heroines of their genres. Here are some of the ladies that are in the book:
- Corin Tucker, of Sleater Kinney, and The Corin Tucker Band
- Exene Cervenka, of X, and Exene Cervenka and the Original Sinners
- Miho Hatori, of Cibo Matto, Gorillaz, and Smokey and Miho
- Claire Evans, of Yacht
- Sean Yesult, bassist of White Zombie
- Noelle Scaggs, of Fitz and the Tantrums
- Amanda Palmer, does she really need a byline?
- Peaches, electro raunch queen
- Theresa Andersson, Swedish born/New Orleans dwelling songstress
- Jolie Holland, Americana singer-songwriter
- Faye Carol, jazz/blues vocalist
- Rachel Flotard, of Visqueen and backup vocalist for Neko Case
- Rykarda Parasol, songwriter of dark metaphoric tunes
- Grass Widow, SF postpunk phenoms.
- Laura Bergmann, of The Family Crest
- Netta Brielle, hip hop/R&B vocalist
- Megan Smith, of SF based Misner & Smith
- Melora, of Rasputina
- Evie Ladin, old time banjo player
- Kelly McFarling, Americana singer-songwriter